Our skin, lips and hands have the most delicate skin. Lips and hands are the first to lose their moisture. Surely, you can restock your desk, purse, and bedroom with Chapstick. But to get truly gorgeous and soft lips, try one or all of these amazing chapped lips cures.
1. Apply a balm to your lips, before washing your face. Your cleanser may dry out your lips as they contain salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide- both disrupt your pH balance and can cause chapping.
2. Use almond oil. Kiehl’s Lip Blam #1 has the hypoallergenic moisturizer & also contains free radical-fighters vitamins A and E.
3. Slice up a cucumber into thin pieces and leave them over lips for five minutes, for chapped and sore lips. It helps rehydrates your lips and feels fantastic.
4. Exfoliate. Use a lip exfoliator like ILIA Balmy Nights Lip Exfoliator . You can even make an at-home paste with sugar and honey. If you have very sensitive lips, you can use a clean, soft toothbrush and brush back and forth.
5. Don’t lick your lips. We lick our dry lips to add some moisture, but it actually dries them out even more. Our saliva contains acids that break down food, but they also irritate your lips. Plus, continuously licking will remove any natural oils you have on your lips.
6. If you got flaky lips. Resist the urge to pick at them. Instead, soften them with lip balm and exfoliate the flakes off.
8. Use sunscreen to prevent burned, chapped lips. If your lips are already chapped- Skip the SPF so it doesn’t irritate the sensitive skin.
9. Another ingredient to look for: Shea butter, which nourishes and moisturizes. You can try Shea Lip Butter, which gives lips a silky smooth finish and subtle shine.
10. Skip lip waxes. Chapped lips will heal best when they’re moist, so stick to lip balms.
11. On the flip side, if your lips are looking good, use a beeswax , it works as a barrier against dehydration, it helps when you’re going to be outside for a while. Try Burt’s Bees Beeswax lip balm —it seals in moisture and has a nice peppermint taste.
12. Use lipsticks with conditioners like vitamin E, macadamia oil, and shea butter.
13. Take a pass on matte lip colors in favor of moisturizing lipsticks. If you must go matte, apply a lip conditioner before. Our favorite—Tarte Rainforest of the Sea Lipsaver Treatment Primer with coconut oil.
14. Drink water. Hydrating from the inside will help keep your lips from getting dry.
15. Use a toothpaste that doesn’t contain synthetic flavors—they can cause an allergic reaction, making your lips flaky.
16. If your lips are chapped, take a pass on drinking orange juice, eating grapefruit, and putting any other citrus fruits near your lips—they can cause more dryness.
17. Rub on aloe vera. It helps relieve the pain and heals small cuts that occur when your lips are chapped or burned.
18. The oldest trick —petroleum jelly. Vaseline Lip Therapy Rosy Lips Lip Balm is super moisturizing, plus it has a luxe rosy flavor.
19. Sometimes fragrances can cause allergic reactions. If you suspect your lips might be suffering because of a scented balm, stick to one without strong scents or flavors.
20. Say No! To hot wings & salty treats for a while, because, spicy foods can dry out your lips.
21. Wear a scarf over your mouth— the sun & wind is a biggie when it comes to chapping.
If nothing works, it is possible you might be suffering from an allergic reaction. It is preferable that you visit your dermatologist to be sure.